What I’m using to make my unicorn and normally all my figurines is modelling paste, and the best brand that I’ve found so far is the Saracino pasta model.
To help you a little bit more I’ve weighed all the pieces of my model paste and I’m going to write everything down on my blog so it would be easier for you to make your own unicorn cake topper.
- I always like to start from the bottom, and that’s why I’m making the first leg, and from a ball, I’m shaping a teardrop which is a bit bigger on one side and a little bit narrow on the other. As you can see I’ve already made the four little legs and I ‘m going to insert them each one with a cocktail stick, which I’ve little bit dumped with some water because it is much easier to stick to the paste, so I’m inserting the cocktail really gentle and rolling within my fingers so that it will stick to the cocktail stick and it won’t fall off.To make it look a little bit more realistic I’m bending the leg, just like so, the two back legs are going to have a line.
At one point I realized that I wanted one leg to be lifted from the ground so that it will look more realistic and more animated and that’s why I removed the cocktail stick and then bent in half.
Once we’ve done the four legs, we’re gonna let it dry, meanwhile…
- We’re going to move on making the body which is a bigger ball of paste and we’re going to shape it like a big teardrop.
Now I’ve curved a little bit the small end of the teardrop to make the neck.
- Once the legs are harder I’ve put them on a dummy and assembled the legs and the body.
And finally I’ve inserted the fourth leg as well. And to do so I helped myself with the scissors which makes things really, really much easier.
While the body and the legs are drying I’ve put this little container underneath the leg.
- Now let’s move on making the head and to do so, we’re going to need a bigger ball of withe paste, rolling to one sided to make the mouth, really gentle like this. Then I poke the two nostrils and draw the mouth.
And I poked two dots at the end of the mouth as well.
With my indexes I’m drawing the eyes.
With the ball tool I draw two ovals, which is where are we going to put more fondant to make the eyes.
So, I filled the eyes with some extra paste and with a leaf shaper I pressed it and filled the whole eye.
To make the eyelashes instead I’ve used a really tiny bit of black paste and then I put it on top of the eyes and then I added two more lashes which again are really really thin and if you find it difficult to pick them with your fingers you might use a pin like me.
Then to add more details on the eyes, I used some blue fondant which I cut an oval using a drinking straw and then I’ve put it on the eye with a help of a little bit of water.
Then up to make the pupil I’ve added a little bit more of black fondant and pressed it, again with the leaf shaper.
Finally I’ve added two balls of white paste, one is a bit bigger and the other one is really small because, I think it does make the eye look a little bit more sparkle and alive.
- Now let’s move on to make the ears, we need to make an oval first, press it, in he middle middle, and cut it in half, and with a little bit of water glue them onto the head.
- To make the beautiful horn that the unicorns have, I’ve rolled some piece of fondant into a sausage then folded in half, twisted, rolled it again like this and cut it to make it flat.
What I’m using now to insert the horn onto the head is a piece of wire but obviously you can use a cocktail stick or a piece of spaghetti. Then I’ve cut it and put it into the head.
- Now that the body is harder I’m going to apply the head and to do so first I’m going to insert a wire which I’ve bended, then cut it to fit inside the body, and then insert really gentle.
And here it is, it already looks really cute, I’m really happy to the way is coming out I hope you like it too.
- Now these are all the pieces that I’m going to use to make a beautiful rainbow crest and tail as well.
First of all I’m going to use the purple, roll it, one side is going to be narrower than the other one, and cut it to put it onto the head and keep going with all the others colours.
And every time I tryed to curl the hair which I think it looked a little bit nicer and a cuter.
To make the tail I’ve decided to use only one piece of fondant with a wire inside to have extra support, and all the others are going to be held from this one.
- To add more magic to the unicorn I made some stars and applied them on her bum.
To make the horne gold, I’ve used this spray, which some of you asked me before what brand is was and here it is , it’s the PME.
So I’ve sprayed it inside a container and then with a brush applied onto the unicorn feet and horne, and I had to do this a couple of times to look even better.